Friday, April 21, 2006
Lets start with my mother
We went out for breakfast with them last Friday morning. It went pretty well. My mother couldn't stay in her seat. She just kept hovering over Aiden's highchair. She asked if she could take him out and I told her that if he was content in there it was best to leave him there. But the hovering was annoying me so I told her go ahead. She takes him out and he starts getting annoyed and fussy. So he ended up back in the highchair in less than 2 minutes after she took him out.

The point of that story is that as his mother, I know best.

I had expected that my mother was going to be around on Friday to hang out and soak up some time with Aiden because that is all she ever talks about. So when I found out that they made plans to go out to lunch with some friends an hour away and then do some shopping I was a little annoyed. I'd planned to do some baking and prepping for Aiden's birthday party on Saturday and was hoping that she'd keep him occupied while I did stuff.

Fast forward to Friday night. We are kind of obligated to go to my brother's house for dinner. Aiden is in a terrible mood. He didn't take his nap that afternoon (he also didn't take his nap Thursday afternoon either) so he was crabby. He gets thrown off when strangers try to feed him. Meal times are already somewhat difficult lately so add into the mix a big dose of overtiredness, the loudest voice known to man (my SIL), and my stupid mother and you've got yourself an unpleasant situation.

DH decides to let my mother feed him and disappears to go be with the men doing guy stuff. Aiden is getting very worked up and not eating like he should. He wouldn't even eat his chicken nuggets which are his absolute favorite. My mother concludes that he's not hungry. I assure her that he is hungry he's just upset. She then goes on a rant that sometimes babies appetites change and I shouldn't force him to eat when he isn't hungry. He is just inconsolable and I feel very tense and anxious when he is like that. So I say to myself that we will take him home after he is done eating.

That was the wrong thing to say. My mother starts with the water works - I never get to see him. You don't need to be so rigid and stick to your schedule. Why can't you just be flexible and allow him to stay and visit? I travelled all this way to see him and you won't let me spend any time with him. *ROLLING EYES*

As you can imagine the rage was running through me. But I think that I handled myself very well. I said that she should look at him and see how tired and upset he is. Why should I allow him to suffer like this when I know that taking him out of this situation would appease him? She said well if he is tired I can just rock him to sleep on my shoulder. I told her no, if he is going to sleep it will be in his crib. She said can't you just let me try? I told her no, I'm not discussing it. I'm not going to let him fall asleep on her in this loud environment (there were a lot of people there, it was a dinner party) and have him not get restful sleep. Then we'd have to wake him to put him in the car, bring him home, and wake him again to get him changed and into bed. We live 5 minutes away, we should just bring him home!

So after I put my foot down she tried to run away to go pout and cry. I wouldn't let her leave. This is exactly what I said to her: "Don't you go running away and crying and not speaking to me like a baby. Sit down and finish this discussion with me. We are having a disagreement. Stay here and talk to me and lets resolve this." For cripes sake, Aiden acts more mature than she does. So she stayed and said that she has experience and its good for something. I agreed that she had experience but I do too and my experience isn't 26 years old, I know him and his needs best. I will not tolerate her questioning my decisions and thats it. Period. No more discussion.

So we ended up leaving at 8 pm. That is a half hour after he should have been in bed. Oh and I made Chris come up and finish feeding him and once my mother left the room he ate his whole dinner. It was against my better judgement to keep him up past his bedtime but I allowed it to appease her. We left with him screaming and crying from being so overtired. I hope she was happy. BEOTCH!! Also, I felt a little like she could care less about his needs. She is so selfish like that. Make him suffer as long as she gets what she wants.

He was crabby and overtired for his birthday party the next day. For that I blame my effing mother. Wouldn't you?


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site
»

Post a Comment

<< Home