Monday, February 13, 2006
Open letter to my mother
Mom,

As I was sitting here this morning feeding Aiden his breakfast I started to remember something long ago. When I was in 5th grade I remember going to school pretty often without a lunch. I remember that some of my teachers would feel sorry for me and would buy me a hot lunch or get me some things from the teachers room to eat.

I was thinking about this mom and I wondered, when did you stop caring if I had a lunch or not? Did you really think at that young age, how old must I have been, 10 or 11, that I was capable of preparing my own lunch for school? I guess maybe I could have been, if we'd had any food in the house.

I remember feeling anxious when lunch time would near. I knew I'd sit there while all the other kids ate their lunches that their parents had lovingly provided for them. Why did you stop caring? As I got older I just learned to steal money out of your wallet for my lunch. I mean, what was Dad paying you child support for anyway? I never felt bad about taking it either. I mean $1.50 went a long way in a school cafeteria back then.

I know its nothing that I can change now but I can vow that I will always make sure my children have food to eat and a lunch to take to school. I don't think its a huge sacrafice as a mother to do that for your child.

Sincerly,
Me


2 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany said...

Oh Muff. That makes me sad for little grade school Muff. At least Aiden will never know that kind of pain.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How hard that must have been for you! I'm glad you're breaking the cycle and doing better for little Aiden.

Post a Comment

<< Home