Friday, February 23, 2007
So close and yet so far
So we had a bit of a labor scare on Wednesday. Honestly, I've never experienced natural labor. What I felt was pitocin induced labor with my son. It never felt like anything more than mild cramps. So on Wednesday when I was having this constant, never ending pain that started in my back and radiated around to my belly I thought maybe it could be labor. It started around 10:30 in the morning.

I went through the morning feeling very uncomfortable with this constant pain but didn't act on it until after I'd put my son down for his nap at 1:30. I thought if I could just make it to then I could lay down and it would go away, proving that it was indeed not labor. Wrong! It only got worse so by 2 I called my doctor and they wanted me to go to the hospital.

Lots of scrambling had to be done to get someone to stay with Aiden, get DH to come home and drive me, and I had to pack a bag just in case it was the real deal. I was in so much pain that I could barely keep my seat in the car for the 50 minute ride to the hosptial.

Finally I'm triaged and brought into a room to be monitored. Of course the pain diminishes when you get to the hospital. That is a given for these situations. I had a few contractions on the monitor but nothing to indicate labor. Internal exam showed no progress, everything was locked up tight. So it turns out that I've thrown my back out. I'm not having back labor but muscle spasms. I can't take anything other than tylenol for them either but heating pads are helping. They told me to avoid as much lifting as possible, easier said than done with a 32 lb. toddler.

I've been getting back rubs from my husband every night. He is being really great at picking up the slack because I can't even unload/load the dishwaher without my back spasming. I'm going early next week for a nice massage and I can't wait. I hope that this heals itself and I don't have to go through this for the rest of the pregnancy. Hopefully I'll realize its labor when it finally comes and not more back spasms.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home