Friday, December 09, 2005
Nursing
I've been wanting to talk about nursing for a while now. Its a subject that I feel anxious over for probably no real reason. It is such a sensitive thing for all new moms, you feel like you need to defend yourself if you do or don't.

I am probably one of the biggest hypocrites when it comes to doing it. I was 99.9% sure that I didn't want to nurse when I was pregnant. I thought it was weird and just not right. I couldn't disassociate the sexual aspect of the breasts. But agreed to give it a try, knowing in my mind that I would barely try and be like Oh well it didn't work.

When I had my little guy and I tried to nurse something just clicked. It felt like the most natural thing in the world to me to be doing it. It was really hard and probably would have been easy to just give up. I ended up supplementing since I didn't really read up on nursing beforehand to know the dos and don'ts. Now I know what to do better the next time around because I had to work my butt off for almost 3 months to stop supplementing.

What really drove me to keep going through the cracked/bleeding nipples and the constant pumping? The fact that a few of the nurses told me to give up. They could see that I was in pain. That just drove me to try harder, I had to prove them wrong. I made it through the struggle and have been nursing my little man for almost 8 months now.

Now comes the hard part for me, when do I stop? I've been toying with the idea of extended nursing. I think the only thing really holding me back right now is society. What will people think, my friends, the new moms I'm meeting at moms club, my family? I really want to stop when Aiden is ready to stop instead of forcing him to stop on my own preset idea of when he should. DH isn't entirely supportive of this idea, he thinks I will be uncomfortable if Aiden wants to nurse in the middle of a playgroup or something. Well so what if it makes someone else uncomfortable, I think to myself. But in the end, I'm not sure. I guess I'll just play it by ear, we'll see what happens when the teeth come.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home