Monday, December 12, 2005
WWYD?
What would you do in this situation?

You go to your nephews 5th birthday party. You bring along your 8 month old son and some of his toys to keep him entertained. You of course remember to bring his most favorite toy, this little rubber book that he likes to gum.

At this party, one of your nephews school friends attends with his parents and 1 year old little sister. (The intentions of the invite were for one parent to bring the child, not the whole family attend) So the little girl decides that my sons toys are looking like fun to play with. Especially that rubber book that he has in his lap, why doesn't she just snatch that right up. Ok, so then what happens? Well, Aiden sees his favorite book and he wants it, he has tunnel vision, there is nothing else, all he wants in the whole world is his book.

What would you do? Try to distract him. Yep, didn't work. Then what? Try to exchange the book with another interesting toy for the little girl to look at. She takes more interesting toy, drops book, MIL gives book to Aiden, then little girl drops interesting toy and yanks book out of Aiden's hands. Nope, she wasn't giving it up, not when the baby is SCREAMING, WAILING, tears STREAMING down his face, REACHING for his book. So I take Aiden away to nurse him and remove him from the situation. Come back and the little girl is now playing with all his other toys, the rubber book discarded.

All the while the little tiff between the two is going on, the mother of the one year old just watches and DOES NOTHING!!! Hello? So am I wrong for thinking that the mother should have gotten her to give Aiden back his book? DH said that Aiden needs to learn to share, yeah but he is a baby! He doesn't understand that yet, granted the one year old probably doesn't either but its more probable that she can learn it better than Aiden can. My other problem is hey, I'm being nice and letting your kid play with my kids toys that I especially brought for him. I didn't bring enough to be sharing since I wasn't expecting other little kids. Why would you bring your child to a party for older kids and not bring anything to keep her entertained with?

I really had to stop myself from giving this woman dirty looks. After they left my SIL and MIL were both pissed at the whole thing.


2 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

I'd be mad too, because Hey that li'l girl just took your baby's toy! And I think the mom should have brought at least one toy for the girl to play with. But chances are the 1 year old isn't going to grasp the concept of sharing anymore than Aiden would. I do think when the mom saw Aiden crying she should have come over and removed her daughter from the situation.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you were very nice. I on the other hand would have said something to the other mother. Ditto Stacey about removing her from the situation. And the concept of Aiden sharing at this point is ridiculous. Kids not get that concept until at 2 years old and most don't master it until 5 or 6.

Post a Comment

<< Home